Devil Dish: 105 years and counting

Steve Bartman. That name alone will send chills down the spines of Chicago Cubs fans and get their blood boiling.

It has been 10 years since that fateful game between the Cubs and the Florida Marlins. It was Game 6 of the NLCS, and the Cubs held a commanding 3-0 lead heading into the eighth inning, with Mark Prior pitching very well. Chicago had a 3-2 series lead over the Marlins, with the last two games held in Wrigley Field. This was the best chance the Cubs have had to make a World Series since 1945.

Marlins batter Luis Castillo came up to bat with a runner on second base and one out. He hit a pop fly down the left field foul line, and as it was coming down a fan reached out and touched it, interfering with what looked like an easy out for Cubs' outfielder Moises Alou.

This fan was Steve Bartman.

The Marlins went on to win Game 6 by a score of 8-3 and Game 7 by a 9-6 margin. They eventually won the World Series over the New York Yankees.

Ever since that game, the Cubs have not made it to the NLCS and have only made the postseason twice.

Some people don’t believe in the curse. But the one time the Cubs had a realistic chance in winning a title since 1908 and it gets dashed away on one fan’s interference? Maybe one day the Cubs can break their curse just like the Boston Red Sox broke theirs.

Or maybe, there will be another Steve Bartman there to make sure it never gets broken.

Reach the reporter at afeyrer@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter at @coffeeblack910

×