No. 15 ASU baseball gets just one hit in 5-0 loss to USC

For the second time in Pac-12 play this season, the No. 15 ASU baseball team only recorded one hit on the road, this time against USC Friday night in a 5-0 loss.

The Sun Devils (20-10-1, 6-7 Pac-12) managed only a single in the fourth from junior third baseman Michael Benjamin as the Trojans (13-20, 6-7 Pac-12) did just enough at the plate to win.

USC junior starter Sean Silva (1-1) allowed only four baserunners in six innings and freshman reliever Brent Wheatley came on for the final three innings for his second save of the season.

Sun Devil junior starter Trevor Williams (4-3) went the distance for the third time this season, but wasn’t able to keep the Trojans off the board.

Trojans freshman outfielder Timmy Robinson brought in the first run off Williams in the second via an RBI groundout.

Williams couldn’t keep the Trojans off the board in the third either as redshirt senior outfielder Greg Zebrack singled home a run to double the lead.

The game got away from Williams and the Sun Devils in the fifth when sophomore outfielder Jake Peevyhouse made an error that allowed Zebrack to score again for the second run of the inning.

The Trojans added another run in the eighth to push their lead to 5-0, but it was more than enough to give Silva his first win as a Trojan.

The one-hitter was the first for the Trojans since 1996.

The teams return to action tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Dedeaux Field.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu

×