No. 15 ASU baseball aims to build road momentum at USC

The last time the No. 15 ASU baseball team hit the road for a Pac-12 series, freshman pitcher Ryan Kellogg threw a no-hitter against Oregon State.

The Sun Devils (20-9-1, 6-6 Pac-12) still lost that series but are looking for a better result the second time around as they travel to USC.

The Trojans (12-20, 5-7) do not pose the threat the Beavers did, especially at home.

USC is only 7-9 at Dedeaux Field this season and is fresh off losing two of three to Stanford.

Minus the Oregon State series, the Sun Devils have had a successful road campaign thus far at 6-4, winning their past three games away from Packard Stadium.

In their most recent road game, the Sun Devils put together an eight run second inning en route to an 11-3 win over UNLV.

The bats have a good chance to remain hot against the Trojans, who only have a team ERA of 4.98.

Trojans junior starter Bob Wheatley (3-2) leads USC with a 1.58 ERA in seven starts, but only four Trojan pitchers have an ERA under four.

Kellogg and the rest of the Sun Devil pitching staff will get a good challenge from the Trojan offense, which has batted .277 overall this season.

Three USC hitters currently have averages above .330 with freshman infielder Blake Lacey in the lead at .340.

First pitch Friday is at 6 p.m., while first pitch Saturday and Sunday is at 2 p.m.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu

×