ASU baseball falls to Texas Tech after blown save

Before Tuesday’s game against Texas Tech, ASU baseball freshman closer Ryan Burr had allowed only one earned run in 15.2 innings of work.

In the ninth inning Tuedsay, Burr doubled that total.

Burr allowed the game winning runs to score as the Sun Devils (12-5-1, 1-2 Pac-12) fell to the Red Raiders 8-7.

The Sun Devils jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first inning thanks to RBI’s from sophomore outfielders Jake Peevyhouse and Trever Allen.

Freshman pitcher Eric Melbostad, who was making his first career start, could only hold the lead until the bottom of the third, giving up a run in the first inning and three in the third.

Melbostad was pulled after the third, allowing five hits and four runs.

The Sun Devils and Red Raiders both struck back with runs in the fourth and Texas Tech took the 5-4 lead all the way to the seventh.

Peevyhouse evened up the score in the seventh, doubling to center for his third RBI of the game.

Sophomore designated hitter Nate Causey, who returned to the lineup after missing the last two games with a hand injury, gave the Sun Devils the lead in the eighth with an RBI single scoring fellow sophomore Drew Stankieiwicz.

Senior reliever Matt Dunbar couldn’t hold the lead in the bottom of the inning, but it was Peevyhouse who gave the Sun Devils the lead back in the ninth with a two-out single. Peevyhouse finished with four RBIs.

It was then up to Burr to close out the Red Raiders for his fourth save of the season. He ran into trouble, loading the bases with two outs.

Burr then hit Red Raider junior third baseman Jake Barrios on a 1-2 pitch and walked redshirt pinch-hit senior Scott LeJeune on a full count to allow the Red Raiders to walk-off with their 11th home victory of the season.

The Sun Devils return to action Friday as they start a three-game road series against Oregon State.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu

×