ASU track and field breaks records in split meets

Two ASU wrestlers compete against each other in a match between teammates. The wrestling team were handed their sixth straight loss to Oregon State on Feb.  9. (Photo by Kyle Newman)
Two ASU wrestlers compete against each other in a match between teammates. The wrestling team were handed their sixth straight loss to Oregon State on Feb. 9. (Photo by Kyle Newman)

The ASU track and field team participated in its busiest weekend of the season so far.

A majority of the men and women’s teams went to the Kirby Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M., while three competitors traveled north to Seattle for the Husky Invite.

Coach Greg Kraft emphasized the importance of this weekend, saying it would be a focal point for the rest of the season.

After starting the season under the radar, the ASU women are starting to earn respect across the nation.

A sprinter from the ASU women’s track team lifts her right leg over a hurdle on March 17, 2012 during the Castillo Invitational. Two ASU track athletes broke Sun Devil records over the weekend. (Photo by Samuel Rosenbaum) A sprinter from the ASU women’s track team lifts her right leg over a hurdle on March 17, 2012 during the Castillo Invitational. Two ASU track athletes broke Sun Devil records over the weekend. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

“The women’s team continues to rise,” Kraft said. “It presents a surprise to our original rankings at beginning of season.”

The Sun Devils pushed themselves to the limit, breaking three ASU event records with two of them on the women’s side.

Sophomore distance runner Shelby Houlihan broke one of the oldest track and field records in ASU history on Saturday. Her 800m time of 2:04.94 was two-tenths faster than Kim Toney’s time back in 1994.

“It feels great to have broken a record almost as old as I am,” Houlihan said. “As long as I stay healthy and keep training hard, I hope to keep getting faster and to compete at nationals.”

Houlihan’s time should move her from No. 21 to somewhere in the top ten, putting her in contention for a National Championship.

Her teammate Christabel Nettey also decided to join Houlihan in the ASU record books.

The senior jumper’s long jump measured at 6.54 m. (21.4567 ft.) ranked No. 2 in the nation thus far this season and broke the Sun Devil record by about an inch and a half.

While Kraft believes Nettey and Houlihan will be successful at nationals, there’s another woman throwing herself into the mix.

After her victory on Friday, No. 16 redshirt junior thrower Chelsea Cassulo is now 4-for-4 on the season in the weight throw. Her toss of 20.84 m. (68.37 ft.) was good enough to put her in the top 10 nationally.

“Chelsea continues to solidify her position,” Kraft said.

Men stay consistent

While the women continue to improve, the men are partially at a standstill.

After wiping away their competition for the first two meets, Kraft believes the team still isn’t where they can and need to be.

“Collectively, we need to get better,” Kraft said. “We haven’t come close to clicking yet.”

Kraft said the team isn't where they need to be even though they are the No. 5 team in the country.

No. 2 redshirt junior sprinter Ryan Milus won another 60 m. competition with a seasonal best time of 6.67.

Kraft believes Milus is one of the athletes that has more potential.

“As well as he raced, he’s not even close to where he can be,” Kraft said. “He’s extremely confident and just needs to concentrate on his own lane and not what everyone around is doing. Just win.”

Milus is targeting a personal National Championship like his teammate Jordan Clarke.

The No. 1 redshirt senior thrower had sat out several weeks with an injured hand. Despite not being 100 percent, he decided to compete anyway.

Clarke apparently didn’t need to be in order to come away victorious.

“It was really nice to get a win after not competing for a month,” Clarke said. “I’m still not 100 percent in throwing shape, but I’m in good shape physically at this point.”

While competing in New Mexico, Clarke went head to head with Wyoming’s Mason Finley, the No. 2 thrower right behind him. Clarke beat him by a good margin, showing he’s quite capable of another championship.

“If I can … continue staying healthy until the NCAA meet, I have a very good chance of pulling out another title,” Clarke said. “I’m really looking forward to it and keeping the ASU shot put tradition alive.”

The Sun Devils have another tune-up meet at NAU on Feb. 16 before traveling to Seattle again for the MPSF Championships on Feb. 22 and 23.

Reach the reporter at msterrel@asu.edu

×