A plea to keep Justin Upton in Arizona

As a lifelong Arizona Diamondbacks fan, I haven’t seen a player come through the organization as exciting as Justin Upton.

Upton was the first overall pick in the 2005 MLB Draft, and it only took the right-fielder only two years to shoot through the minors and onto the major league club.

Ever since his arrival to the majors on Aug. 31, 2007, Upton has shown flashes of the talk that labeled him as a five-tool player and the face of the D-backs franchise.

The D-backs even renamed the right field bleachers “Uptown” in honor of him after his 2011 campaign (.289, 31, 88) landed him fifth in the MVP voting.

Now, it seems there is no way the 25-year-old will ever suit up in a D-backs jersey again, and it perplexes me.

Upton had a down year in 2012 (.280, 17, 67) in terms of production, but the D-backs shouldn’t give up on him and trade him away.

Upton’s five years of MLB experience give him a decided advantage over most players his age.

Also, Upton sustained a thumb injury early last season that undoubtedly affected his offensive production throughout the year.

So please, Kevin Towers, come to your senses and keep Upton in downtown Phoenix.

You won’t regret it, I guarantee.

×