Dodgers’ recent acquisitions are desperate, insufficient

The Los Angeles Dodgers have become the laughingstock of baseball. Who are they going to claim off waivers today? Their recent influx of players is too little, too late. As of today, the Dodgers remain 3.5 games behind the National League West leader San Francisco Giants and have been losing ground. There has been a lot of excitement from Dodgers fans, but why? Adrian Gonzalez is an above average first baseman, but the rest of their acquisitions are mediocre. Carl Crawford? Injured. Josh Beckett? He is past his prime. Nick Punto? Need I say more? The San Francisco Giants will run away with the division, and the logic is simple: The Dodgers are now playing as a team without an identity. A good chunk of their players were playing on other MLB rosters a couple months ago. Does ownership really think that this team can create great chemistry in a month? Also, the Dodgers just don't have the killer instinct to win the division. How many pennants have the Dodgers won in the last five years? October just hasn't been their month. There's always next year though, right?

×