Baseball to renew rivalry with Cal State Fullerton

Deven Marrero looks to throw out a runner in a game against UC Riverside on Feb. 26. Marrero and the Sun Devils are set to face a tough Cal State Fullerton team for a two-game series this week. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Fresh off a series win against California in its first Pac-12 home stand, the ASU baseball team plays host to Cal State Fullerton for a two-game set beginning Tuesday at Packard Stadium.

Though the contests against the Titans (15-8) will give the Sun Devils (15-8, 3-3 Pac-12) a brief respite from Pac-12 play before they travel to Oregon this weekend, Big West conference member Fullerton will be far from a cakewalk for ASU.

“They’re like playing a (Pac-12) team, and I like to play them as much as we can because they are going to provide us with an idea of how (Pac-12) baseball plays,” coach Tim Esmay said. “They’re going to hold runners really well, they’re not going to just let you run. They’re going to pitch out of some innings, and they’re going to try to make some innings.”

Esmay explained that the two schools have developed a “good, respectful rivalry” over the years and that he expects the Titans to arrive in Tempe ready to play ball. Fullerton is led by junior first baseman Carlos Lopez (.357, eight doubles, 12 RBI) and sophomore outfielder Michael Lorenzen (.337, eight doubles, 12 RBI).

On their own side of things, the Sun Devils know that focus and mental conditioning will result in success during both this midweek series and in the long run.

“It’s a matter of just staying within ourselves and doing what we do best, which is grind everybody out,” shortstop Deven Marrero said. “We’re the best team in the (Pac-12), hands down, so we’re going to act like that and we’re going to play like that.”

Esmay and Marrero expressed the team’s growing confidence in the box, as well as how that confidence is continuing to translate to quality at bats by the Sun Devils’ hitters.

“Another big part of (Sunday’s win against Cal) was that if you look at the guys that gave us great at bats, it was the guys that believe in this team and their own abilities,” Esmay said.

The midweek series will also serve to cement the jobs of certain players on the ASU roster, as it’s important for each member of the squad to understand his specific duty on the team.

“We’re getting to a point now where guys are starting to settle into some roles,” Esmay said. “They have a good idea of when we’re going to use them.”

Additionally, the showdown versus the Titans will figure to provide a good measuring stick for a few of the untested ASU arms.

“It’s a great opportunity for some of those guys that haven’t been given the ball quite a bit because, for them, this is our practice,” Esmay said. “I’m looking forward to getting some guys some innings and seeing where they’re at.”

The ASU coaching staff isn’t simply interested in making personnel decisions, however, as Esmay and company want to see their squad push the tempo of the game even more and force Fullerton to play on its heels.

“Sun Devil baseball isn’t about hoping for things to happen,” Esmay said. “We have to make things happen. Sometimes, you’ve got to create your own stuff.”

First pitch for both games is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Redshirt sophomore Zak Miller is on the bump for ASU on Tuesday, with the team’s Wednesday starter still to be announced.

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×