Track to divide squads, travel to three tournaments

ASU track & field
Ryan Milus sprints in the Baldy Castillo Invite on Mar. 19, 2011. The Sun Devils track and field team will split up and compete in three tournaments this weekend. (Photo courtesy of Jeremy Hawkes)

This weekend marks the first time this year the ASU indoor track and field team will split and travel to more than one location. The Sun Devils will send athletes to the Husky Invitational, the Boise Team Challenge and the Don Kirby Invitational.

Coach Greg Kraft doesn't think the separation will affect his team, though.

“I think everybody understands what they have to get done, so we always just try to focus on what we control,” Kraft said.

Kraft will send the distance runners to Seattle for the Husky Invitational. This is the first true test for the distance team, and Kraft is excited to see how they compete.

“We are looking to get some guys qualified in the 3000-meters and 5000-meters, so that will be very interesting,” Kraft said. “Also, we are looking to see what we can get out of Darius Terry and Shelby Houlihan in the mile because after this, they will only have one more opportunity.”

Redshirt sophomore Nick Happe, who has a top 25 time for the 3000-meter event, is looking to improve upon his solid early season.

“Pretty much, I'm looking to go up to Seattle and hit a national qualifying time or, at the very least, (a personal record),” Happe said. “Hopefully I'll use that momentum to go into the conference meet and then the national meet.”

Happe is extremely confident in his own abilities as well as those of his team.

“I feel like this year, we have a good group of guys who run 100 miles a week, which previously wasn't being done quite as much,” Kraft said. “We’ve been doing it for about a year now, and it's starting to pay off.”

The Sun Devils will only send the throwers to the Boise Team Challenge. Kraft is looking to get his stars redshirt junior Jordan Clarke and redshirt sophomore Anna Jelmini who are also looking for more experience before the national championships.

“We are looking for Jordan and Anna to become more comfortable in those circles,” Kraft said. “Obviously we would like to see Anna move up the descending order list.”

The Sun Devils will send the rest of their team to the Don Kirby Invitational. The goal for the weekend is simple.

“We would like to get people up on the descending order list and (get) people qualified,” Kraft said.

Junior Christabel Nettey is coming off an injury in the fall and is finally returning to her All-American form. Kraft realizes her importance not only to this meet, but also for the rest of the season.

“On the women's side, we need Christabel to come back from injury and progress and get deeper on the list, and I think she will,” Kraft said.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu

×