ASU alumnus sells ads on body to raise money for cancer group

ASU alumnus Adam Fuller will be selling advertising space on his face, neck, arms and legs to be featured when he competes in the Lavaman Waikoloa Triathlon in Hawaii in April. The money will benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. (Photo by Mackenzie McCreary)

After his aunt’s death ended a 19-year battle with breast cancer a year ago, an ASU alumnus was inspired to continue her legacy by raising money for cancer causes.

Adam Fuller is asking sponsors, in order to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to buy a spot on his body to display written messages when he competes at the annual Lavaman Waikoloa Triathlon in Hawaii.

He joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training, which connects runners with coaches and fundraising resources, including a personal website.

Fuller titled his site “Tri for Les” in memory of his aunt, Leslie Whitfield, who raised money for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation while she was alive.

“It’s a good way to celebrate her life and give back to an organization like LLS,” Fuller said.

This is Fuller’s second triathlon and his first time asking sponsors to buy ad space on his body.

Fuller’s goal is to raise $4,100 before competing in the 1,500-meter swim, 40-km bike ride and 10-km run.

Sponsors can buy a spot on his body, including his neck and face, for $50 to $1,000, he said.

Fuller said his friends are planning to buy face space to write embarrassing things about him.

“I would take anything on my face,” Fuller said. “It’s all for a good cause.”

Of course, the messages have to be appropriate, he said.

Since November, Fuller has been training six days per week with the LLS Team in Training.

Elizabeth Apodaca, the program’s swim coach, said she hasn’t seen a marketing idea like Fuller’s in the four years she has trained athletes.

“He is … setting the standard,” Apodaca said.

Mike Fitzgerald, ASU alumnus and Fuller’s teammate, is also competing in the Lavaman Triathlon.

Fitzgerald said he wishes he had thought of Fuller’s unique idea.

“Hopefully, he will sell out, so to speak, and sell all his space,” Fitzgerald said.

Sharon Ronstadt, Fuller’s mother, said it is great her son found creative ways to raise money for cancer research.

Ronstadlt said she is eager to not only see endorsements on Fuller, but hopes to see people buy space to write their own cancer stories.

“People will wear Nike and Reebok endorsements, but Adam will carry his own endorsements,” Ronstadt said.

She said she is proud her son chose to continue her sister’s efforts to raise cancer awareness.

“Leslie can’t continue to do what she was doing, but Adam can,” Ronstadt said.

Reach the reporter at thaniab@asu.edu

×