Haunted houses hold ground in economic decline

(Photo courtesy of The Nest and photographer Mark Lipczynski)

The economic downturn has left few businesses untouched, but Arizona haunted houses have shown few signs of slowing down.

Glenn Rea, the co-producer of The Nest in Chandler, has been creating haunted houses for the past 25 years and only sees improvement ahead, despite the economy.

“If anything, it’s made us better because people can’t afford these big, giant vacations so they’re doing staycations,” Rea said, standing beside the flapping canvas walls of the tent where The Nest is housed at Rawhide on Gila River Indian Community land.

He said the economy hasn’t affected the haunt’s budget at all. This year he and fellow producer Steve Kopelman invested around $1 million of their own funds in The Nest.

Though Rea said the haunted house will only take in a few hundred thousand dollars, he and his partner continue to invest high amounts.

“It’s more for the love than the money,” Rea said.

It is a full-time job to Rea, who said he works 125 hours a week in the month and a half prior to opening weekend. In order to supplement his income, though, Rea holds other jobs.

“I’m the senior event manager of Pro Em. I’ve been running the (ASU) football games for 24 years,” Rea said.

He has also been a bodyguard.

Because The Nest is self-funded by the two producers, both hold additional jobs to continue to invest high sums in the haunt.

Other owners take similar risks to execute their haunted houses.

Paul Boyd, owner of Graveyard Entertainment, the company that produces Chambers of Fear in Glendale, said the prop budget alone was around $75,000 to $80,000 when he worked on AZ Fright Nights in 2001.

He said the Sept. 11 attack decreased business for AZ Fright Nights, depleting money from his own pocket, but he said the economy hasn’t affected his budget for Chambers of Fear this year. Boyd said they have planned it out for the next five years.

Boyd said Chambers of Fear is in its second year and hopes to attract between 10,000 and 15,000 customers.

Both Boyd and Rea agree their industry is a year-round job.

“You pretty much get through October, everyone catches up on sleep in November and then the planning starts in December and January,” Boyd said.

Rea said the search for supplies never ends at The Nest, which includes a replica of a ‘40s farmhouse complete with a kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and backyard.

“If I showed you my expense sheet you’d throw up,” Rea said.

Rea attends garage sales and auctions constantly, on top of shopping at Goodwill for other items. Rea and Kopelman also design and create their own dolls and creatures specifically for the haunt.

But it is far from a solo job. Brooke Rodda, who is responsible for The Nest public relations, said the haunted house employs 125 actors each night in addition to the security and construction crews, tech team and a makeup crew called Wicked Images. She said the haunt must meet fire safety codes and the Gila Valley Fire Department is on-site for every showing.

Rea and Kopelman are also aware of those who might not be able to afford the $25 general admission ticket.

Rodda said The Nest offered free entrance for any military or civil servant as well anyone who showed paperwork for a credit score under 600 on opening weekend.

“Want to talk about horror? Horror was how many people showed up with really, really bad credit,” Rea said about the event.

Boyd said Chambers of Fear’s $18 admission ticket provides discounts at places like Party Planet, Hurricane Grill & Wings and Sonic by showing the ticket.

“We are definitely conscious of the economy and that’s why we really look to give our customers the best deal out there,” Boyd said.

Human nutrition senior Jessi Tompkins said she tries to do a Halloween activity every year and paid around $30 to see two attractions at AZ Scream Park in Scottsdale last weekend.

“It’s still kind of expensive for two haunted houses and then you had to pay for parking,” Tompkins said.

She said she thought AZ Scream Park was scary and entertaining but not as high quality as the price suggests. As for The Nest, Tompkins said she thought it was better quality but not as frightening.

Rea said he expects 40,000 customers will go through The Nest during October, a slight increase from last year.

The Nest, Chambers of Fear and AZ Scream Park will be open through Oct. 31.

Reach the reporter at sksmith9@asu.edu

×