Hundreds of channels and nothing is on. Everybody’s been there — you settle into the sofa prepared to give the cable box a workout only to find poorly censored teen comedies on network television, 10-minute infomercials for carpet cleaners, and an “All My Children” marathon.

At least, that’s how it was before Netflix’s unlimited streaming program made its debut in 2008. Viewing possibilities suddenly seemed endless with an expanding archive of movies and television shows at subscribers’ fingertips. Never seen “Gone with the Wind”? Netflix Instant. Have a strange urge to watch all 12 seasons of “Murder, She Wrote”? Netflix Instant. Entertainment is literally a button click away.

Although the streaming catalog has its limits, a couple extra dollars each month gives access to Netflix’s extensive DVD library. If a title isn’t available to watch instantly, subscribers can wait two days for it to arrive in their mailboxes. Still easy, still quick, still cheap.

But for some members, seeing those distinctive red envelopes may soon become a thing of the past. Starting Sept. 1, Netflix is separating unlimited streaming from their DVD plans. Receiving both services will now require a monthly fee of $15.98, nearly double the previous subscription cost.

In a recent blog post outlining the changes, Jessie Becker, Netflix’s vice president of marketing, said the split was made to “better reflect the costs of each (format) and to give our members a choice.”

Comments on the blog ranged from disappointment to infuriation. Some members threatened to cancel their subscription, citing similar services like Redbox and Blockbuster as better options. Many seemed annoyed at the lack of instant titles, but refused to pay a separate fee to continue getting DVDs in the mail.

This response, however, is not a cry for more physical copies. Sales of DVDs are suffering in the digital age. Most people are trying to get rid of their collections, packing thrift stores with used movies.

Streaming content has changed the market for entertainment. Consumers have a growing desire for immediacy, for instant gratification. These days, when we want something, we want it now, not in 24 hours, or even in 30 minutes.

The issue at hand is the same we faced with cable: The options are there, but the content is lacking. While Netflix has some fantastic titles available to stream, it has become difficult to sift through the made-for-TV and unrecognizable B- movies. The option for mailed DVDs was a great backup plan, but the format is likely to become extinct in the near future.

Thus, the real test for Netflix will be whether they can provide better options for instant viewing. It would be nice to see more new releases and current TV shows get a “play” button. While the nearest Redbox may be less than a mile away, that would require actually leaving the couch.

Reach the reporter at bkearney@asu.edu

×