State Farm sponsoring ASU-UA rivalry

State Farm will be sponsoring games in the ASU-UA rivalry series in addition to donating $20,000 to each university's scholarship fund, the insurance company announced Wednesday.

The State Farm Territorial Cup Series will be a competition between the in-state rivals that will include 17 sports competitions or series, with a point being designated for the winner of each.

The school with the most points at the end of the year will capture a trophy made by Reed & Barton, a silversmith in Massachusetts that created the original Territorial Cup Trophy — the award given to the winner of the ASU/UA football game — which was created in 1899.

State Farm will also sponsor the ASU/UA Food Fight, a year-long canned food drive instituted by the universities.

The series will also give fans the chance to win tickets leading up the Territorial Cup football game on Nov. 28. ASU fans can win by texting SFASU to 25866 and UA fans can win by texting SFUA to 25866.

"What makes this partnership unique is its focus on two issues central to the Arizona community in these trying times: education and hunger," ASU Athletic Director Lisa Love said in a press release. "We are pleased to join with State Farm and the University of Arizona to tackle these two important issues in a fun and spirited way."

×