ASU tennis players halted in quarterfinals

After three Sun Devils made it to the round of 32, none of them were able to get past the quarterfinals of the Wilson/ITA Regional Championship Saturday in San Diego.

The tournament’s top seed, ASU junior Kelcy McKenna, was upset in the quarterfinals by UCLA junior Andrea Remynse 6-1, 6-0.

McKenna had some trouble maintaining her composure in the match, ASU coach Sheila McInerney said.

“She just got into a rut and lost some confidence,” she said. “She was drawing too much on the missed shots rather than the good shots.”

Junior Micaela Hein also lost in the quarterfinals, falling to UA sophomore Natasha Marks 7-5, 5-7, 6-2.

“Marks wasn’t going to give her anything,” McInerney said.

After early struggles, Hein played deep into a tournament for the first time this season.

McInerney said the tournament was “very positive” for Hein and that her final match was closer than the numbers show.

Sophomore Michelle Brycki was the third Sun Devil to play in the round of 32 but was also knocked out by UA’s Marks by a score of 6-1, 6-2.

In the doubles bracket the tandem of Hein and junior Ashlee Brown advanced to the semifinals before losing to UC Irvine sophomores Courtney Byron and Stephanie Hammel 8-4.

“We were up 3-0, and it sort of fell apart,” McInerney said.

After a strong run in the singles consolation bracket, sophomore Sianna Simmons fell to USC junior Christy Andrews in the quarterfinals.

“It was a really good tournament for [Simmons],” McInerney said.

The tournament was a confidence builder for Simmons after winning several matches in a row, McInerney said.

In all, the coach was pleased with the amount of competitive matches her team had.

“It was a big improvement from the last tournament to this tournament,” she said.

The team’s next tournament is the Thunderbird Invitational held at ASU from Nov. 6 to 8.

The tournament will host several teams from across the country.

“You have a lot of pride when teams come to your place,” McInerney said.

“It’s something we absolutely look forward to.”

The tournament will conclude the team’s fall season.

Reach the reporter at nathan.meacham@asu.edu.

×