Men's Pac-10 Power Rankings

March is just around the corner and the Pac-10 Conference is taking shape. It looks like six teams still have a shot at the conference crown, but the clock is ticking for those teams in the middle of the pack. Here’s our outlook on the Pac-10 thus far:

1. No. 11 UCLA

Since falling to the Sun Devils back on Jan. 17, the Bruins have won five of their pas six — the only blemish being an 11-point loss at Washington. UCLA has won its last four by an average of nearly 23 points.

2. Washington

The Huskies fell out of the Associated Press top 25 after losing to Cal this past weekend, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. There's incredible parity in the Pac-10 this year, and the Huskies have proven that their hot start in conference play was no fluke.

3. No. 18 Arizona State

The Sun Devils welcome in UCLA and USC this weekend in what should be an exciting pair of games for all. ASU rebounded nicely after two tough losses at home against the Washington schools by beating Oregon schools on the road last week.

4. Cal

The Golden Bears defended their home court with an impressive 15-point victory over UW and followed that up with a late win against Washington State. Up next, they have the basketball version on "The Big Game" versus Stanford slated for Valentine's Day.

5. USC

USC looked very overmatched in its contest against crosstown rival UCLA last Wednesday and it doesn't get an easier. The Trojans will play Tucson Thursday before coming to Wells Fargo Arena for Saturday's matchup.

6. Arizona

If these rankings look familiar, that's because they mirror the Pac-10 standings at the moment. UA has rebounded with five straight wins since losing to ASU back on Jan. 21.

7. Washington State

The Cougars are a good team, but it just goes to show how competitive the conference is. They have lost three straight since defeating ASU 65-55 on Jan. 29. WSU finally returns home for a pair of home games after playing four consecutive road games.

8. Stanford

Coach Johnny Dawkins' squad has lost four of its last five Pac-10 contests, including a 97-63 stinker to UCLA on Jan. 31. It's the second time the Cardinals have been dealt a 30-point conference loss this season, coupled with ASU's 90-60 drubbing on Jan. 2.

9. Oregon State

The Beavers are undoubtedly the league's most improved team from last year. It looks like the team has bought into coach Craig Robinson's game plan and Corvalis has become a very tough place to visit.

10. Oregon

The bad season just keeps getting worse for Ernie Kent's squad in Eugene. The Ducks will try not to be this year's OSU and go winless in the Pac-10.

×