This Christian is voting no on 102

There seem to be more propositions on the ballot this year than usual that actually affect the average Arizonan. One such proposition is Proposition 102, also known as the marriage amendment.

For those that don’t know what Proposition 102 would do (and if you don’t, I would ask where you’ve been for the last month), it would create an amendment to the state constitution that would define marriage in Arizona as being the union of one man and one woman.

This emphasizes both the number (only one of each, clarifying that polygamy is not allowed) as well as the gender (both man and woman, not including same-sex marriage).

I, for one, have already cast my ballot, and that vote was one of the first arrows I filled. And it was the “no” arrow.

My choice has surprised many, as I am a conservative Christian. My reasons are both religious and secular.

First and foremost, I simply do not believe that the institution of marriage belongs to government. Sure, a marriage license is granted by the state, but marriage is a matter between the two people getting married, not the state.

I would vote no on a proposition that would allow same-sex marriage for the exact same reason. It simply should not be an issue that is decided through political means.

Second, I don’t believe that prohibiting same-sex marriage will accomplish much of anything, except add fuel to an already well-fueled fire. If two men (or two women) get married, it does not make my marriage any less sacred or special. My marriage is between my husband and I — and, in our case, also God.

Some have argued that same-sex marriage is a threat to the institution of marriage. To them, I say that there is likely something much closer to home that affects their marriages than homosexual marriage.

If other people’s marriages affected mine, then so-called “green card” marriages are also a threat, as well as those who get divorced. And let’s not forget outright adultery. (Hey, it used to be illegal for exactly that reason).

But the fact of the matter is they don’t. Why should a marriage between two men or two women be any different?

My last reason is possibly my most heart-felt reason, the one that influenced my decision more than any other: Outlawing same-sex marriage is not following the Christian example.

Some have said that homosexual marriage is Biblically forbidden, so as Christians we should not condone it. My response is simple: As a Christian, I am commanded to love people as Jesus loves them.

Approving this proposition is not the way to do it.

Loving someone means showing them love, where they are right now. It means recognizing that all people sin and that my sins are no less important or less sinful than others.

Passing this proposition does not do this. It condemns a group of people for actions I may feel are morally wrong, but it does not show them Christian love. It certainly does not make them want to listen to anything I have to tell them about Jesus Christ.

Whatever your motivation, this proposition is simply a bad idea. So on November 4, I strongly urge you to vote no on Proposition 102.

Janne is a criminology and criminal justice graduate student and can be reached at janne.gaub@asu.edu.

×