Senate passes textbook bill

ASU students may see lower textbook prices for the fall semester because the State Senate passed House Bill 2230 Monday.

The bill, which was initiated by the Arizona Students Association, requires publishers to disclose facts about new textbooks, such as prices and information about what's new in each edition, that could influence professors' decisions in choosing required materials for their classes. If signed by Gov. Janet Napolitano, the bill will become law.

"We're really happy with the results of the state legislature," said sophomore Andrew Rigazio, senate president of Undergraduate Student Government.

USG, which has helped lobby for the bill at the Legislature, expects the bi-partisan-supported bill to receive the governor's signature since it has already passed with large majorities in both houses, Rigazio said.

"The governor has shown she's committed to higher education," Rigazio said. "We fully expect her to sign."

The bill would require textbook companies to disclose information about book prices before professors choose course materials. Disclosed information must include the price, whether the materials are available "bundled" or separately, the copyright dates of each edition and what information has been changed from one edition to the next. Ten other states, including Oregon, Connecticut and West Virginia, have similar legislation that relates to lowering textbook costs for students.

Rigazio added that, when professors know the true costs of textbooks, they usually make choices with regard to students' tight budgets.

"From what we've seen, when it comes to prices of books, faculty will make the right decision," Rigazio said.

When publishers disclose the facts about the prices and editions of their products, professors can compare costs or use older editions if there are not major changes, he said.

The bill underwent amendments after it was first introduced in the state House of Representatives in January by Republican Rep. Andrew Tobin. Tobin, and several other state lawmakers, did not respond to requests for comment by deadline.

As it was originally written, the bill would have required book publishers that provide "bundled" copies of course materials to also provide them in "unbundled" form. "Bundling" is a practice in which publishers sell textbooks only in a bundle with related materials — often a CD or workbook.

The bill was amended in a 9-1 vote in February.

However, Rigazio said the final version is in line with the goals of the his group. Throughout the legislative process, Rigazio said the students worked with lawmakers and were able to see their ideas in the final version.

Political science sophomore Scott Swagerty said he agrees with the goals of the bill to lower textbook prices. For his four classes this semester, Swagerty said he had to buy 13 textbooks totaling almost $1,000.

"Hopefully it will help keep textbook prices from being out of control," Swagerty said.

Though his books were expensive, Swagerty said his professors have made an effort to make students aware of cost-effective options, like shopping online instead of at the ASU bookstore.

"I think the professors are on our side," Swagerty said.

Communications senior Eric Peterson said he thinks textbook prices are "ridiculous," and he rarely uses expensive extras like course CDs.

Peterson added he's noticed teachers letting students know which books are optional in the last couple of years.

"You have more teachers trying to find ways to get cheaper textbooks," Peterson said.

In light of the thousands of bills that are proposed in the state legislature every year, Rigazio said to see a student-based initiative succeed is impressive.

"We think that's a great accomplishment because that's something that's hard to do," Rigazio said.

Reach the reporter at: claudia.koerner@asu.edu.

×