Police Beat: Man attacks daughter with an aluminum broom

Tempe Police reported the following events Thursday:

• Police arrested two Casa Grande men Tuesday at South Jentilly Lane and East Bell de Mar Drive on suspicion of drug charges, police reported.

Police stopped the two men in a 2003 black Chevy when the car failed to stay in one lane, according to police reports.

After an officer smelled marijuana, a K9 officer searched the vehicle and discovered half an ounce of marijuana, a usable quantity of cocaine and drug paraphernalia, police reported.

The driver, 19, was arrested on suspicion of charges of possession of marijuana, possession of narcotic drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia and misconduct weapons, police reported.

The passenger, 20, was arrested on suspicion of possession of marijuana and narcotic drugs, according to police reports.

• A 19-year-old Tempe woman was arrested Wednesday at South Hardy Drive and West Parkway Boulevard on suspicion of forgery, according to police reports. Police were investigating the woman in connection with a stolen check.

According to police, the woman cashed a check that came from an April 4 burglary in Mesa.

She was arrested on one count of forgery.

• A 33-year-old Tempe man was arrested Wednesday at his apartment on the 2000 block of East Howe Street. Police confronted the man around 5:30 a.m. after he broke his bedroom window trying to get into the apartment to retrieve his cell phone when his roommate refused to let him in, according to police reports.

Police reported then finding a bag of a leafy green substance in his right rear pocket.

He was taken to Tempe Jail on suspicion of charges of criminal damage, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

• A 50-year-old Tempe man was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of child abuse. Police arrested the man on the 5000 block of South Roberts Road in connection with an incident that happened April 14.

According to police reports, the man struck his daughter with an aluminum broom on her leg. When the broom broke, he continued to hit her with it on the arms and top of her head, causing a half-inch-long cut on her head.

The man was booked at Tempe City Jail.

• A 19-year-old ASU student was arrested Tuesday on the 400 block of East University Drive, police reported.

An officer on a bicycle stopped the woman when he smelled marijuana coming from a group of people sitting on a bench. When he asked her if she had marijuana in her possession, she pulled out a plastic baggie from her purse, according to police reports.

A search also revealed a pipe with residue, police reported.

She was booked on suspicion of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Reports were compiled by Claudia Koerner. Reach the reporter at: claudia.koerner@asu.edu.

×