Major League Baseball opened its season on American soil Sunday night with who else but President Bush throwing out the first-ever pitch at Nationals Park.

It was a moment like any other, except it was marked by a resounding mix of boos and cheers for the president and in reality, it could have been much worse.

Current National and one-time Sun Devil Paul Lo Duca, who was infamously named in the Mitchell Report, was originally suppose to be on the receiving end of the president's ceremonial toss because he's Washington starting catcher. But instead it was Nationals manager Manny Acta snagging the president's high cheese.

While I, along with I'm sure, many other people, were openly rooting for the awkward meeting between Bush and Lo Duca in the infield grass, I have to say that sports fans probably owe a great deal to the president.

Sure, a case can be made that the country was in better shape than when he took office eight years ago, but without Bush's specifically mentioning performance-enhancing drugs in athletics during his 2004 State of the Union address, we probably don't have the assembling of the Mitchell Report or IRS agents checking in on Barry Bonds and Rogers Clemens.

So to you, Mr. President, thank you.

You'll have at least one bullet point under your list of accomplishments.

×