Ad promoting cash donations earns ASU graphic design student... cash

042508-design_joseph1_web
AWARDED IN FIGHT FOR CASH: Graphic design junior Joseph Clay displays his first place-award winning advertisement Thursday from a contest by Public Service Announcement for International Disasters advising to give cash donations to the needy instead of perishable foods.

Graphic design junior Joseph Clay thinks there's no such thing as a bad idea.

Clay spent hours brainstorming, sketching and revising his public service ad. On Monday, he learned that he won first prize in the Center for Disaster Information's annual PSAid contest, winning $6,000.

"Everything else has been for a school project or a family friend," Clay said. "This is exciting."

For the contest, Clay had to design an 8-inch by 11-inch ad, conveying the message that cash is the most appropriate donation after an international disaster. As the winner, his ad could be used in a campaign to spread this message.

Clay's final product featured a background of photos of children and what looks like a nutrition facts label, but actually gives donation facts.

"It's hard to convey all that information," Clay said. "I felt that I found a clever enough solution."

Clay said that he thought speaking to viewers with facts in the "Cash is Best" campaign would create a more influential ad than one that appealed to their emotions.

"I felt a text-heavy ad would be more beneficial to me," Clay said. "People aren't dumb. They understand."

To help make decisions about the design, such as how much information to include, Clay turned to his professor, Mookesh Patel, department head of visual communication design in the College of Design. Patel publicized the PSAid competition in his studio class and encouraged Clay to enter.

"He's an amazing kid with lots of ideas," Patel said. "It's wonderful to see him grow."

Clay said he plans on using the prize money to pay for an internship in Chicago, where he hopes to further develop his budding design skills.

"Basically, this year I've become a designer," Clay said.

Though Clay said he plans to pursue a career in design, his real dream is to become a stand-up comedian. A member of ASU's Barren Mind Comedy Troupe, Clay said the creativity involved in improvised comedy is similar to the brainstorming initially involved with design.

Working with the comedy troupe, where every idea must be developed during a performance, has made Clay more open-minded during his brainstorming sessions.

"I really don't have any bad ideas if I'm developing them all," Clay said. "I find myself subconsciously saying yes."

Patel said the ad was compelling because it combined a clear, factual message with background photographs of children.

"It was just simple but very effective," Patel said. "I thought he hit the nail right on the head."

The success of Clay's design is also a result of Clay's passion for helping others through disaster relief, Patel said.

"The responsibility of a graphic designer is moralistic rather than commercial," Patel said.

Reach the reporter at: claudia.koerner@asu.edu.

×