Best place to buy vinyl

Eastside Records

217 W. University Dr., Tempe, 480-968-2011

Eastside Records offers the best alternative to "anti-chain store" music shoppers. In case you haven't heard, vinyl is awesome. The store opened in Tempe in 1987 and they keep right on spinning. It play records over the store's speakers, and the staff members there are very knowledgeable about what they do. Many of the records come from private collectors who sell their collections to the owners. Eastside sells new and used records, CDs and other music related odds and ends. They specialize in punk rock and underground hip-hop records, but, don't worry, there are other genres to check out. The records are usually in great listening condition. For those who are lacking the proper equipment, they sell used speakers and turntables as well. If you're looking for a rarity, this is the place to go. Records are usually not expensive unless it's rare or a new vinyl. Return often because the best deals go quickly.

jvanzale@asu.edu

Best music venue

Modified Arts

407 E. Roosevelt St., Phoenix, 602-462-5516

Modified Arts is a tiny, dingy space in the middle of downtown Phoenix, and indisputably the best place in the Valley to see a band. Shows are cheap — rarely over $10 — and a stunningly impressive array of national acts has graced the small stage over the years. Local support for the venue is so great that dozens of Valley bands played a benefit show recently to cover the cost of Modified's brand-new sound system. Best of all is the intimate setting; the tiny gallery can only hold crowds of around 200. The stage is barely raised off the floor, allowing fans to get up close and personal with bands that will be playing much bigger shows months from now.

sam.gavin@asu.edu

Best place to buy CDs (Staff Pick)

amazonmp3

amazonmp3.com

CDs? Why buy CDs? This may be a cruel question to the hundreds of ASU students who'll be supporting independent music retailers by taking part in Record Store Day on April 19. But Hoodlums is gone, and asking pissy Zia employees for stuff they don't have in stock isn't a good substitute. As nostalgic as one may be for the brick-and-mortar days, record stores are finally obsolete. Amazon.com's MP3 store is the most satisfying music-buying experience on the planet. The music isn't copy-protected and isn't low-quality like stuff from the iTunes Music Store — and it's cheaper, too. It's just the world's biggest selection of MP3s, for (mostly) 89 cents per song or $6 to $9 for a full album. No overpriced plastic discs to rip, no out-of-stock albums, no holier-than-thou employees. Just music ad infinitum.

sam.gavin@asu.edu

Best radio station

The Edge 103.9 FM

Beyond the fact that Chuck Powell in the morning kicks ass, the Edge 103.9 FM is, as the station claims, "the Valley's alternative rock." The Edge dabbles into mellow music but focuses on alternative and rock and roll hits. The station is good at providing variety so themed segments are always fun and a good change of pace. Ska punk and '90s hits are among the favorites. Chuck Powell's morning ritual really knows how to help listeners enjoy their morning stuck in traffic. The crew interviews some of the nations top artists and has random segments like Freak Du Jour. Freak Du Jour is presented at the end of the radio show where some freak in the news is gossiped about. The freak of the day is subjected to humiliation and listeners enjoy the randomness of the freaks running the radio show. The Edge is notorious for being involved in some of the best concerts around the Valley like EdgeFest and Warped Tour. The station also often sponsors events for holidays like St. Patrick's Day and get involved in promotions for other Valley events and festivals. Its Web site offers the latest news for concerts and promotions. When a radio is out of reach, the station is available live through the Internet.

melissa.matyas@asu.edu

Best undiscovered local land

Andrew Jackson Jihad

There is no need to drop $50 for a concert at the U.S. Airways Center when good music is flourishing in downtown Phoenix. Concerts at the Trunk Space, located off Grand Avenue, are a fraction of the cost. Andrew Jackson Jihad often plays at this small and cozy venue. AJJ is definitely a local favorite of many who appreciate off-beat lyrics as well as the downtown music scene. Music by Andrew Jackson Jihad feels like good folk. Their songs are accompanied by rhythmic strums of an acoustic guitar and bass. The lead singer, Sean-Claude Bonnette, wows audiences with his passion, intensity and good humor. Their sound is much like the early work of Modest Mouse — think of the albums "Lonesome Crowded West" and "Building Nothing Out of Something." The band is a mix of quirky folk with a dash of abrasive indie rock. While the band isn't touring around the country, it can often be seen performing at the Willow House and various venues throughout the Valley. Although it is signed with Asian Man Records, it won't be too long before their songs will be played on MTV2.

valerie.gueco@asuu.edu

Best place to replace Hoodlums

Zia Record Exchange

105 W. University Drive, Tempe, 480-829-1967

Zia is the best of a bad bunch. The independent chain has a better selection of music than any other physical retailer in the Valley. Its wide selection of used CDs is great if you've got the time and patience to hunt for hidden gems. Sure, its employees are legendarily unfriendly, and the prices on new discs are significantly higher than big-box stores like Best Buy or online retailers like iTunes and amazonmp3. But they're the closest thing to Hoodlums still left standing, and if you're walking from campus, it's only a couple more paces to an Oregano's pizookie. If you're still into buying your music on pieces of plastic, Zia is the best place that's still around.

sam.gavin@asu.edu

Best karaoke (Staff Pick)

The Grapevine

4013 N. Brown Ave., Scottsdale. 480-994-1792

At most places, the bar is built first and then the perks are added, such as a karaoke machine. At the Grapevine, it feels like the karaoke machine came first and the bar second. Located in downtown Scottsdale, the Grapevine has the best karaoke in town. Its play list includes 86,000 songs to choose from many different genres, from pokey country music to zingy '80s pop. They also have a stage and a big screen TV to read lyrics, complete with a wireless microphone. Super studs can wander the bar looking for someone to join them in a duet. There really isn't much else to say about the Grapevine except it's a place built for karaoke. It's a place where singing dreams come and are born — or die.

gralbovs@asu.edu

Best place to replace Hoodlums: Zia Record Exchange

Best undiscovered local band: Andrew Jackson Jihad

×