Politics entered the sports world in recent years thanks to a bunch of bloated baseball players.

While some may argue differently, Congress' said involvement in sports has been to provide a positive influence, to steer sports in the right direction.

Alas, politics and sports are primed to become intertwined in six months, if not sooner, when China hosts the Olympics this fall.

The Olympics, despite its scandals and controversy, still summons the world's imagination when we watch athletes of different races, religions and regions compete to be best.

But chances are that will be overshadowed by the actions of China, an indirect supporter of the genocide in Darfur through its close relationship with Sudan and an oppressor of freedom and human rights in Tibet, where recent protests by Tibetans, who are mainly pacifist by way of Buddhism, have ended violently.

And yet somehow, the only thing the International Olympic Committee was worried about Monday was if the unrest would affect the route of the Olympic flame, which is schedule to lit Monday in Olympia, Greece and begin its route to Beijing.

And because the IOC denied Tibet's request in December to field an Olympic team, it's up to Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) to play the political game versus China through the sports world.

×