Well, that was certainly a harsh end to the honeymoon.

The Suns, in front of a national television audience, were handed a 30-point loss by the Pistons Sunday. Besides Detroit showing it can be the best team in the Eastern Conference when it chooses to, a lot was made about the boos that descended upon the Suns during the third quarter.

Too soon, some have said. "That wouldn't be our (fans), would it?" Suns coach Mike D'Antoni rhetorically asked reporters following the game.

Yes, Mike, that was indeed the fans of Planet Orange. And with good reason.

Not because they are paying customers and therefore hold the right to voice to their displeasure. No, that's too cliché.

Fans were booing because they came to the arena thinking they were going to see a Suns team that is poised for a championship run, not a group of guys imitating the New York Knicks.

Fans were booing because the home team looked like it was playing defense with cinderblocks strapped to its feet.

Where was the sense of urgency and excitement from Suns getting players to measure themselves against one of the premier teams in the league?

Understandably, it takes time for teams to adjust when there is a personnel change.

But there's never an excuse when the most amount of emotion, heart and passion comes from the people sitting in the stands.

×