I think in another life, or maybe somewhere down the road in this one, I want to coach football.

It's closest one can get to the game once their days between the lines have ended, not to mention a practical use for those hours spent perfecting I-formation, fullback offset right, plays on Madden.

Still, the job of overseeing a team doesn't come easy, though my aspirations aren't much higher than a few Friday nights under the lights at some high school. But only if it were that simple.

I'm sure asking Raiders coach Lane Kiffin about a coaching career right now wouldn't evoke a rousing approval for the life.

In a bizarre story that could only originate from the home of the Black Hole (how ironic), Kiffin was reportedly asked to sign a letter of resignation penned for him by the head of the Raiders organization, "the Don" Al Davis, or lose control of all personnel decisions.

Kiffin, who was hired only a year ago as the youngest NFL head coach in history, has declined to comment on the issue, though neither he nor the Raiders have denied the incident took place.

With the $4 million left on Kiffin's contact hanging in the balance along with a whole lot dignity, I wonder if the 32-year-old wouldn't mind trading the bright lights of the league for the floodlights of purity as well.

×