Opinions: Phoenix's counter-culture is quietly exploding

When people think of a city they think of culture; many claim Phoenix does not have that culture, and it should, since it is the fifth largest city in America. I say we have this culture; it is just being created right now. I look at Phoenix and see opportunities almost every night, certainly every week. I see bicycles and music being the prominent features of this new-found culture. Intertwined with the two is a civic pride that is emerging and will be blossoming soon.

When I think of any city with a culture, the aspect of a counter-culture always is seen. These counter-cultures are in the form of the youth who want to promote a better living (through music, bicycles, or other means.) Each city has its communes and bicycling groups. This is being created at this moment in Phoenix. Tempe currently has two co-operatives, or collectives, that are being built up. One of these groups is dedicated to bicycling, the other to arts (Bike Saviours and Tiny Animal Collective respectively.) The idea that counter-culture is being created shows there is some culture that is already apparent.

The most important part of any counter-culture movement is entertainment. For our generation it is primarily through music. In Phoenix, the music scene is creating a name for itself and a unique sound. In the '90s Tempe was known as a hub of Indie music (with hometown bands like the Gin Blossoms making a name for themselves nationally) and now in Phoenix we have a music renaissance in the making. All the bands are working together to create music not for popularity but for the artist's expression. The songwriting surpasses that of popular music and the music of Phoenix is spreading through more than Arizona. Furthermore, most of the musical venues are also art galleries: The Trunk Space, Modified Arts, Paper Heart, etc.

Since the counter-culture of Phoenix is being created, the culture must be there. It may be difficult to see the culture, but it has clear instances that are easily seen through strife. This past summer the city of Phoenix wanted to take away land from a public park, Patriots Square Park, to turn into the city skyline. While the city was deciding what to do, people of Phoenix came together to try and save the park.

The consensus was that the park was a much-needed break to the monotony of buildings in downtown Phoenix despite the fact that it is used as a haven for drugged-up vagrants. It was amazing to see a group of such diverse people showing pride for a piece of city history. Unfortunately the city passed the act to tear down the park, damaging its own culture.

Another instance of strife is the presence of gentrification in downtown Phoenix. Gentrification refers to the takeover of low-income neighborhoods, often containing a strong artistic presence, by wealthier residents. There is a DJ in Phoenix who goes by the name DJentrification and is an outspoken advocate against the gentrification of Phoenix. Every Wednesday DJentrification is spinning his records for free to spread art and love throughout Phoenix. MC Merv is another outspoken artist against gentrification. He is the first yuppie rapper who does guerrilla performances discussing living in lofts and the need to sell out downtown. His performances are satirical and like Stephen Colbert act as a way to mock the situation of gentrification.

The character of Phoenix is in the people it harbors and their desire to keep the city something unique and not another city focused on business without regards for the arts. The counter-culture movement is burgeoning and now is the time to become active. Every city has its cultural roots in some time period, for Phoenix this is the time to shape the future of its cultural impact. Within the next five years the character of Phoenix will become stronger than ever and be undeniable.

Reach the reporter at: norman.shamas@gmail.com.

×