Dance and genetics: Unlikley combo makes a great show

Genetics and dance may not seem like they go together, but for the Liz Lerman Dance Exchange, genetics are a part of the studio.

In "Ferocious Beauty: Genome," which plays at ASU's Gammage Auditorium Oct. 18, the dance company combines modern dance with scientific thought. The piece looks at subjects ranging from aging and disease to the perfect human body.

Inspiration for the work came in 2002 after Dance Exchange founder and choreographer Liz Lerman led a public discussion about an art exhibit in Seattle. The exhibit's subject, genetic research, left Lerman wanting to know more about how the field would affect the future.

"When we started to create 'Ferocious Beauty: Genome' I realized that we had a curious challenge, which was to take a subject, genetics, and a form, modern dance, both of which are difficult to understand, and to combine them into something that would be understandable," Lerman said on the Dance Exchange's Web site.

As she began to research her own artistic interpretation of genetics, Lerman worked with scientists from universities and research institutions across the country to better understand how they work.

Manju Hingorani, assistant professor of molecular biology and biochemistry at Wesleyan University, first met Lerman three years ago.

Hingorani said Lerman worked extensively with scientists, "immersing herself in the process to come up with ideas and interpretations of science as she saw it in dance form."

The result, Hingorani said, is an authentic and innovative way of looking at the scientific process in general and "how much life sciences are changing our world."

Lerman's work shows the connections between creating art and making discoveries in science that many people might not see, Hingorani said.

"It takes skill, discipline and practice, and it takes a lot of creativity," Hingorani said about lab work.

Examining science through art is at the core of the piece, which to Associate Artistic Director Elizabeth Johnson aims to raise questions about the implications and future of genetics.

The Dance Exchange has a history of using dance to broach innovative subjects, which have included sports, ethnicity and the Nuremburg war trials.

Instead of presenting one point of view, the company strives to show a variety of ideas to pique the audience's curiosity through an accessible medium — dance.

In "Ferocious Beauty: Genome," audience members are encouraged to come to their own conclusions about what the science of the genome means.

"Hopefully this piece raises more thought about this," Johnson said.

The multimedia performance debuted at Wesleyan in Connecticut in 2006, earning positive reviews and standing ovations. Since then, the Dance Exchange has performed it at across the country, including Duke University and the Mayo Clinic Convention Center.

"We've had more overall response with this piece than any other piece we've been involved with," said Johnson.

While the response has been positive, Johnson said people usually "need time to process it." The piece includes information on many facets of the genome, which an audience may not be familiar with.

"It's a lot to ask an audience to grasp everything in one shot," Hingorani said.

Despite the complexity of the subject, Hingorani said every audience member could relate to at least part of the show, which captures a range of emotions.

Johnson said using dance to talk about the possibilities of the body was a natural choice and makes it easier for the audience to relate to.

"Putting it in a format that uses the body brings it home," Johnson said.

Reach the reporter at claudia.koerner@asu.edu.

×