New buildings accommodate enrollment growth

ASU's student population is growing, and as a result, so are its campuses.

Five new buildings are under construction at the ASU Polytechnic campus to accommodate the growing population, said ASU spokeswoman Christine Lambrakis.

"Currently we're at capacity with classroom space and office space," Lambrakis said.

And if enrollment growth goes as planned, the Polytechnic campus will only get larger, she said.

In fall 2005, 6,500 students enrolled at the campus, located in east Mesa, Lambrakis said.

But by 2020, ASU officials predict approximately 15,000 students will attend the Polytechnic campus, she said.

"We're growing and we need the facilities to accommodate more classes, faculty and labs," she added.

The five buildings will provide 240,000 square feet of space for varied use, Lambrakis said.

There are three complexes included in the $103 million construction project, she said.

The first, Peralta Hall, will house the Morrison School of Management and Agribusiness, and Computing Studies classrooms and office space, according to a press release.

The second building, Superstition Hall, will provide expanded facilities for the Humanities, Social/Behavioral Sciences, School of Educational Innovation and Teacher Preparation, Physical Education, Applied Psychology and School of Applied Arts & Sciences, the press release stated.

Lastly, Santan Hall will supply classrooms and offices for the Engineering program and the College of Technology and Innovation, the release stated.

The two other buildings included in the construction are a lecture hall, which will be called Picacho Hall, and a black box theater, which is named the Fine Arts Pavillion, Lambrakis said.

All five buildings should be completed by the start of the fall 2008 semester, she said.

Reach the reporter at: tara.brite@asu.edu.

×