Comedian brings his own lines to Tempe

Comedian Greg Proops, famous for his work on ABC's "Whose Line Is It Anyway," returns to the Valley Sept. 6 for several shows at the Tempe Improv.

"I've always been a fan," said Dan Mer, owner and president of the Improv, about Proops' stand-up comedy. "It's extremely intelligent, very unique and original with a slight liberal slant."

Proops said he frequently hears his comedy called intelligent and said this comes from the way he treats the audience.

"I try not to talk to the crowd like they don't know what's going on," Proops said.

For this reason, Proops said his comedy would appeal to college students who have more time for pop culture and current events than older audiences.

"College kids are informed," he said. "They tend to be a little ahead of everybody."

While most young people are familiar with his work on "Whose Line," Proops said his stand-up differs greatly from improvisation. When creating new material, he is able to spend more time carefully writing beforehand and works independently from a group.

"I'm a lot more opinionated, pointed and satirical," Proops said about his stand-up, which he also describes as "snarky."

Proops first forayed into comedy at a young age, starting at school and then performing in comedy clubs when he moved to San Francisco.

After auditioning for "Whose Line," he received public recognition.

"Everything changed after that," he said.

Working with the other cast members of "Whose Line" remains a part of Proops' life. For the last 15 years, Proops has worked with Drew Carey, Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles.

"I can't get them to go away," Proops joked about his longtime collaborators. "There's no shaking them."

Among his other TV credits, Proops was a regular on the British version of "Whose Line." While playing to a British audience meant learning some new slang and cultural references, Proops said people's sense of humor does not vary much overseas.

"It's not as radical change as you might think," Proops said. "It's a matter of timing."

One change for Proops, however, is going from working in a TV studio to a live audience. Overall, he said he prefers live shows for their immediacy and authenticity.

"TV is a little bit set up. Live is where you prove it," Proops said, "where you prove you're funny every night."

Mer said Proops' ability to be funny keeps his often-political humor from being biting.

"He's so funny in the way he expresses his views, no matter where you stand politically you'll enjoy the show," Mer said.

Mer said he expects a good turnout for the show at the Improv because Proops is a "familiar face for people."

Mer also encouraged college students to attend live comedy shows that are more personal than large concerts or movies.

"Stand-up is really meant for an intimate venue. It's a really unique thing," Mer said. "We'd love to see new students here."

Reach the reporter at claudia.koerner@asu.edu.

×