Local Limelight: Outside the Music Box

musicfeature
On hiatus while their booking company revamps itself, the members of Inward from Outside are taking the steps to make it big.

Juggling band practice, booking shows, recording, promoting, studying at ASU and being a working stiff isn't easy. Just ask the guys in Inward from Outside, a Tempe-based, pop-punk outfit featuring three ASU undergrads.

"School is where our daytime passion lies, but everyone makes time to put effort into the band," says Inward guitarist Allen Shepard.

Shepard, a biomedical engineering senior, is joined by bassist Jared Barberg, a mechanical engineering senior, and drummer Blake Anderson, a computer science engineering senior. The Inward lineup is rounded out by guitarist/vocalist Dominic Antonelli, who graduated from the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences last year.

Anderson says being in a band gives his life variety. "It is a little extra work, but it is a welcome break from the daily grind of jobs and homework," he says.

The band uses its high-speed live shows and bouncy punk rock to let off steam.

"It's not a 'sit at a table' sort of time," Shepard says of Inward's live show. "It's a lot of energy; people are moving around and having a good time."

Antonelli and Shepard's double vocal harmonies shout out proud messages of social change and encourage the listener to learn from past mistakes. Inward presents passionate, meaningful lyrics in every song.

Inward is currently laying low from the public eye - its usual booking company is revamping itself to become one of the Valley's premier concert promotion companies. The company, Music Menu, consists of a group of musicians that help each other book shows and find new venues.

In the meantime, the band is gearing up for a summer full of live performances. Inward is rehearsing new songs, designing merchandise and planning for summer performances, Shepard says. The band is looking to tour Arizona, California and Nevada this summer, he adds.

Though the band craves being on stage, Shepard doesn't mind the inactive period between shows.

"If you have shows all the time, then fans don't have anything to look forward to," Shepard says.

And the band isn't afraid to perform at shows that might not be in its comfort zone. Runner-up in last year's Battle of the Bands at ASU, Inward knows how to make new fans. The exposure and experience has only helped the band's fan base grow.

"It was an [accepting] crowd, and we got to play for a lot of people we normally wouldn't play for," Shepard says.

"Some people get excited to hear music playing on a school day. It's cool, you can stop [by the stage on campus], and all of a sudden, you're in a new world."

Reach the reporter at: si.robins@asu.edu.

×