Tempe appoints new police chief

Tempe appointed a new police chief Monday after the only candidate for the position passed what officials said was a rigorous selection process.

Assistant Police Chief Tom Ryff, a 27-year police department veteran and lifelong Tempe resident, will become chief Jan. 1. He replaces Chief Ralph Tranter, who is stepping down.

Although Ryff was the only applicant, City Manager Will Manley said he chose him because of his strong performance during the selection process, his inside knowledge of the city and Police Department and his long, distinguished record.

Manley prefers to recruit internally for department heads because he's more familiar with current employees' strengths and weaknesses, and internal recruits already understand how the city works, he said.

"If I feel we have qualified candidates, I put them through a very difficult and comprehensive selection process," he said.

The process for selecting Ryff included an oral exam and interview with a panel of law enforcement experts and managers and several forums. These forums were separately geared toward the public, employees and city department heads.

All these groups strongly supported Ryff's appointment, Manley said.

At a press briefing, Ryff said dealing with the city's continuing growth would be a major focus.

"It's critical to plan for the future," Ryff said. "It's going to be very challenging for the Police Department to keep up."

For example, Tempe police have never dealt with providing security for the dense, high-rise condominium towers now under construction in downtown Tempe, Ryff said.

Having enough qualified officers ensures the police respond quickly and efficiently to public safety concerns, Manley said.

To handle future needs, Ryff said he would also look into hiring more police officers and support staff.

This includes hiring for three vacant assistant police chief positions by the end of the year, Ryff said.

Two other assistant chiefs will step down for reasons unrelated to the new appointment, Manley said.

Ryff said he doesn't know how many additional people he will hire because this won't be determined until after an internal evaluation, he said.

Tranter will remain with the Police Department as a consultant, Manley said.

His work will include updating a manpower study, meeting with neighborhoods on safety concerns and strengthening relationships with other law enforcement agencies, including ASU's.

Ryff said Tranter will work directly with him but won't be involved in any day-to-day operations of the Police Department.

Reach the reporter at grayson.steinberg@asu.edu

×