Businesses get ready for slow days of summer

As students prepare for summer, downtown Tempe businesses are preparing for a slow season.

Business downtown is dramatically slower during the summer, said Rod Keeling, president of the Downtown Tempe Community.

"Summer is just not a good time to have a return in investment," he said. "You don't get the biggest bang for your buck."

Jesse Bello, manager of College Street Deli, located on College Avenue just north of University Drive, said the restaurant sees a large decline in business during the summer.

"It dies pretty fast," he said. "I easily see at least 600 people come through here [now]. During the summertime, there's no more than 100 people."

The same is true at Borders, 699 S. Mill Ave., general manager Harley Ruda said.

"There is a noticeable difference in foot traffic in the store," he said.

At Borders, the decline is seen most in the bookstore's cafe section, Ruda said.

ASU's summer sessions can help keep up the flow of business, Keeling said.

"If there's a summer session underway, it's really not that bad," he said.

But Bello said summer school does not really do much to maintain business at the College Street Deli.

"Summer school makes it a little bit busier, but not much," he said.

Although winter break can also represent a slower time for business as students disperse for the holidays, Keeling said events like college football bowl games help to improve business.

Ruda said Borders does not experience as much of a decrease during winter break.

"Christmas is pretty steady, actually," he said. "It certainly doesn't increase ... but it isn't as slow as the summer."

Some businesses are affected more than others, Keeling said.

"It depends who they are," he said.

He said restaurants that do not rely heavily on student business often maintain a steady crowd during the summer.

"Z Tejas is not going to see that much of a difference," Keeling said.

But College Street Deli relies almost solely on business from students, Bello said.

He said students bring in nearly 70 percent of the company's income.

The deli prepares for slow summer months by down stocking and cutting the staff, Bello said.

"We're not that big of a company," he said. "So the staff gets cut down to around five people."

During the school year, Bello said, the deli employs around 15 people.

Ruda said since he employs many students, he loses employees during the summer, as well.

"We don't let them go; they just take a leave of absence," he said. "I don't do any hiring during the summer, though."

Bello, who has worked at the deli for a year and a half, said he does not think the decline in business is specific to his store.

"[Students] represent a good percentage of the city's population," he said. "The whole city dies down."

Reach the reporter at kelsey.perry@asu.edu.

×