Letters to the Editor: LSU game not a complete loss

Thrilled at the prospect of a telecast of an LSU football game and grateful for a beleaguered team that could get itself together for a game, I was unprepared for the graciousness of the worthy opponent.

Upon seeing your unexpectedly altruistic end zones, the hand-lettered sign "Our house is your house," then the half-time interview with Sen. John McCain, ASU entrenched itself forever in my "die-hard LSU and grieving for New Orleans" heart!

I, and thousands in my home state -- I feel certain -- are more grateful for your hospitality and attitude than you can ever imagine.

And please don't feel sad for your scoreboard loss -- the karma of the universe predetermined the game's outcome. Just know that the Pantheon of our Louisiana hearts is ruled by LSU. But ASU and the people of Arizona, who caused this game to happen, are forever on those aching hearts' short-list.

Thank you for being the acme of the Southern hospitality to which we aspire.

-- Anne McGee Kelley

LSU ALUMNA

Good sportsmanship off the field

I know Saturday night was a tough loss for ASU, and I'm almost sorry -- almost because, as you are aware, we know about tough losses too. I'm an LSU alum living in Colorado, who still hasn't heard from several family members from the New Orleans area.

All week, in addition to our obvious concern about our city, our friends and our families, we were mourning our inability to play our first game of the season. We were even more concerned about playing a team with ASU's talent and reputation away from the confines of the Tiger Stadium.

As it turned out, however, we should have been -- and in retrospect, are -- thankful to have had on our schedule a most capable as well as caring adversary. Even from here in Colorado, it was easy to see the genuine concern and compassion in ASU's preparation for, and participation in, Saturday night's game.

We thank you for welcoming our team and our fans. We thank you for the magnificent competition. We thank you for the "Our House is Your House" sign, and we thank you for caring.

-- David Ramagos

LSU ALUMNA

Admitting intolerance a welcome change

I just wanted to thank Galvan for being so honest in her article about not being as tolerant as she wants to be or thought she was. It's not very often we find a heterosexual who will honestly admit they may still have remnants of being raised homophobic.

And not too often are heterosexuals willing to try to stop being homophobic with such conviction. Many people go through this. Even homosexuals sometimes have to learn to override their initial homophobic feelings to accept who they are.

In a society that isn't always accepting or even tolerant, Galvan made great points and is a role model I'd like to see other heterosexuals follow in the footsteps of. The first step is always recognition of the problem. And from there, you can go anywhere. Thanks, Galvan!

-- Annie Williams

ASU STUDENT

If you have an opinion you'd like to make heard, mail a letter to the editor too. Just type "Letters.Editor" in the subject line and send it to letters.editor@asu.edu.

×