Bikini calendar washes over ASU

tempe12
Distributed throughout the ASU campus, the Tempe12 calendar is free of charge. The 16-month calendar starts in September 2005, with a different ASU girl for each month in addition to several pages of advertisements and coupons.

With the new Tempe12 bikini calendar making its way across campus and around town, it could seem like swimsuit weather all year.

Ben Leis and Dave Freedman began Tempe12 Promotions last year with the production of the first Tempe12 ASU bikini calendar.

"The ASU calendar is an age-old idea," Leis said. "But for once, we've developed it into a real promotional item for students."

This is the second year for the calendar, but the 2006 edition will be a little different, Leis said.

He said this year's 16-month calendar is free to ASU students and features advertisements and coupons from over 50 valley businesses, including Silver Mine Subs, Dave's Dog House and Living Canvas Tattoos.

Tempe12 model Rachelle Pfeifer, an undeclared sophomore, said Freedman e-mailed her last April and asked her to apply for the modeling job after they saw her profile on the online networking service Facebook.com.

"I was very flattered," Pfeifer said. "There are a lot of beautiful girls here at ASU, and they asked me to apply."

Leis said over 1,000 women applied for the position.

"We had a couple of pool parties where girls were able to come," he said. "It was kind of an open casting call."

Two hundred interviews later, the Tempe12 were chosen, he added.

Pfeifer said the interview process wasn't what she had expected. She said they tried to get a sense of her personality.

"They kept telling us its not based on looks, but how you present yourself," Pfeifer said. "It wasn't just, 'Oh, you're pretty so we'll put you on there.' "

Leis said he wants the Tempe12 girls to be more than just models in a calendar.

"Yeah they're beautiful," he said. "But they've got the matching personalities and brains. They're all spokeswomen for this business."

Leis, Freedman and the Tempe12 spokeswomen will hand out calendars to ASU students on campus by the Memorial Union and at sponsored businesses this week.

Spanish sophomore Erin Shadle said she and her roommate received a Tempe12 calendar last week.

"We looked through it for the coupons," Shadle said. "Then we decided to hang it up next to our half-naked men calendar."

Reach the reporter at tara.brite@asu.edu.

×