Volleyball to host Stanford, California

psports-volleyball-web
Lisa Olson/THE STATE PRESS
ASU freshman libero Sydney Donahue makes a pass as outside hitter Nicole Morton looks on during the Sun Devils 0-3 loss to Pacific on Sept. 11 at Wells Fargo Arena.

The ASU volleyball season winds to a close this weekend when the Sun Devils host No. 7 Stanford on Friday and No. 14 Cal on Saturday at Wells Fargo Arena.

Although postseason hopes are out of the question, the Sun Devils are looking to end the season on a positive note.

"There's nothing else to play for, really, besides the victory," ASU coach Brad Saindon said.

The Sun Devils faced off with both teams in late September, falling to the Golden Bears in four games and getting swept by the Cardinal in three. ASU took the first game from Cal and had a chance at Game 2 before succumbing.

"That was our very first match in the Pac-10, so obviously we've improved a lot and they have too," senior defensive specialist Stephanie Kohner said. "It will be a good match."

Since their last meeting with the Sun Devils, the Bears have lost starting libero Jillian Davis to an anterior cruciate ligament tear. Alexis Kollias has taken her place and responded with a career-high 23 digs against USC on Nov. 4.

Stanford, meanwhile, has been on a roll. The Cardinal has won six in a row, including a victory over previously undefeated Washington. The ASU match will be one of three in five days for Stanford, following a contest against No. 25 Santa Clara they played Tuesday, winning 3-0, and precluding a match against UA on Saturday.

Cal and Stanford are trying to improve their postseason prospects, while ASU is reduced to the role of spoiler.

The match against the Bears on Saturday will be the last for Kohner, the lone playing senior on the ASU squad.

"I've developed close friendships with a lot of these girls, so it's obviously the girls I'm going to miss," Kohner said. "But also I've been playing competitively for 10 years, so it's time to hang up the shoes for a while and move on."

The match against Stanford will be played Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, the first time the Pac-10 has scheduled contests so close to the holiday. Everyone from the team will stay in state during the holiday, and some of the players will have dinner together on Thursday.

"Hopefully, we'll be able to move Friday night after the Thanksgiving dinner," Kohner said.

Reach the reporter at kyle.odegard@asu.edu.

×