Volleyball splits against Washington schools

There is no doubt the ASU volleyball team has gone through its fair share of ups and downs this year.

It has been faced with numerous injuries, one of the nation's toughest schedules and the task of trying to win now while also attempting to develop the younger players for seasons down the road.

Even with all that, ASU's 30-27, 30-22, 31-29 win over Washington State on Thursday assured the Sun Devils of surpassing the overall and conference win total from a season ago with three matches still left to be played.

"It indicates we're making progress," ASU coach Brad Saindon said. "[Finishing ahead of last year's record] was one of our big goals, and hopefully we're not done yet."

The Sun Devils (10-14, 5-10) could only manage a split from the week's matches, though, falling to No. 1 Washington 30-28, 30-17, 30-23 on Friday. However, considering the Huskies have not lost this year and are ranked No. 1 in the country, Saindon was happy with the way the team played.

"That first game was maybe the best game we've played this year," he said.

Sophomore outside hitter Nicole Morton led ASU with 15 kills against Washington. Freshman libero Sydney Donahue had 16 digs.

In the Washington State contest, freshman Staci Smith had a career day, tallying 13 kills on a .524 hitting percentage. Her previous high in kills was nine.

"It seemed like every time Rachel [Mittelstaedt] set her the ball, it found the floor," Saindon said.

Smith also added five blocks on the night.

The match was taped and then broadcast on FSN on Saturday afternoon.

The contests against Washington and Washington State may have been on the road, but the Sun Devils had plenty of support. Relatives of four players made the trek to see ASU in action.

Eight members of freshman middle blocker Colette Meek's family drove 12 hours from Alberta, Canada, to see her play on the college level for the first time.

Freshman defensive specialist Alison Lund's parents traveled from Maryland, and Smith's parents came from Oregon to watch. Also in attendance was Donahue's grandmother, who made the trip up from Los Angeles.

The match against the Huskies closed out the road portion of schedule for ASU. The team has three home matches left over the next two weeks to finish up the year.

Next up for ASU will be a contest against UA on Friday.

The Sun Devils were swept in three games by the Wildcats in Tucson earlier this year, but have won the last two home matches.

Reach the reporter at kyle.odegard@asu.edu.

×