Tillman not Arizona's only hero

09486q20
John Ronquillo
The State Press

Raymond Losano, Benjamin Biskie, Jay Aubin, Alyssa Peterson, and Nathan White.

Few of us recognize the names of these people who felt inside themselves a burning to defend our country. They are Arizona soldiers who have paid the ultimate price to ensure our freedom and are heroes in their own right who gave their lives in either Afghanistan or Iraq, fighting in battles that have raged for more than a year.

As the news of each new casualty came, our hearts sank a little bit deeper as the war escalated.

The news of Pat Tillman's death has spread faster than you can bat an eyelash, and in just four days, every TV news media outlet -- from CNN to MTV -- has covered the story. Nearly every paper has printed an image of the soldier with piercing eyes and a square jaw carrying the American flag, an image most of us will never forget.

The death of Arizona's favorite strong safety-turned-Army Ranger has drawn tears from fans and admirers while garnering a huge media response -- something I'm sure Tillman would hate.

Growing up in Arizona, I have learned of many war heroes such as Frank Luke and Ira Hayes, and I've listened to my grandfathers tell me war stories of Pearl Harbor and fighting in India, Burma and China.

While there is only one Pat Tillman, some of us are failing to realize that there are many who have gone before him and many yet to follow who have the same qualities: honor, pride, integrity and humility. We have all grown to appreciate his diligence and humility and the way he quietly left the sidelines of Sun Devil Stadium to join the front lines of the war on terrorism.

While we greatly admire the sacrifice Tillman made, many others have led or followed in the same manner without the media attention. And in some cases, it's been the media attention that has drawn our focus away from what is really important: honoring those who have defended us.

The numerous eulogies in honor of Tillman have called for monuments and various sites to be named after him, and in some form or another, it will be done. The numbers he wore will be retired, and the plaza surrounding the new Cardinals stadium, scheduled to open in 2006 in Glendale, will be named "Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza."

In contrast, the tributes to Pfc. Lori Piestewa, were not as welcome. Arizona state Route 51 was renamed the "Piestewa Freeway," and Squaw Peak was renamed "Piestewa Peak" after the soldier, who was killed last year in Iraq.

This change did not come without an outcry of opposition. Was it so hard to name a stretch of asphalt and concrete, and a small mountain previously labeled with a word offensive to some Native Americans after Piestewa?

It is only right to honor all who have laid down their lives, no matter the circumstance. Pat Tillman walked away from his family, his friends and millions of dollars for what he thought was right, and he did it quietly.

It is said that Army Rangers fight like lions and soar like eagles. Pat Tillman exemplified that. He stands out because other people identified with him. He was humble and reclusive by his own choice. Let us honor Tillman in the true fashion that he would have shown, by honoring all of those who have given their lives to protect ours.

To the soldiers who have given your lives: we mourn for you all.

John Ronquillo is a journalism senior. Reach him at johnron@asu.edu.

×