Moves to East, West for the best

09486q20
John Ronquillo
The State Press

It is time for a renaissance in Arizona.

No, I'm not talking about the annual festival that happens way out past Apache Junction and Gold Canyon, I'm talking about a literal rebirth that has already started taking place within our very own realm of ASU, led by Michael Crow.

Last week, Crow announced plans to move 15 colleges or schools from the main campus in Tempe to the east and west campuses, as well as the ASU Downtown Center in Phoenix. While this change seems radical to some people here on main campus, it is a move that can only further the goals of the University.

One of the greatest things that will come out of this change is a stronger downtown campus. For those of us who have any knowledge about Downtown Phoenix, there's one thing we know for sure: it's dead. We get there at 8 a.m., we leave at 5 p.m., and only come back to visit for an occasional sporting or cultural event. For crying out loud, at one point people wanted to officially recognize the Camelback Corridor as the new Downtown Phoenix.

For years, the universities students had to choose from were altogether too few for a state of over 5 million people. Granted, we have grown tremendously over those years, but rather than accommodate the growth gradually, we are now finding ourselves on the brink of a much-needed change.

With this change, students will have more choices of institutions of higher education. Although ASU will have a presence Valleywide, each campus will be able to create its own intricate identity.

As a recently admitted student to the Master of Public Administration program, it only makes sense to me that the entire School of Public Affairs relocate to downtown Phoenix, where much of the state's public affairs take place. It is only fair that we stand and take our place among the cities with well-established urban universities.

Michael Kosak, a justice studies and communication senior and Undergraduate Student Government senator for the College of Public Programs thinks the move is a good idea, but agrees that there may be disadvantages. "Overall the move should help to revitalize downtown Phoenix," he said. "However, the city needs to support the university experience by adding residential and commercial space, as well as providing increased security for students. The University needs to plan the campus similar to other urban universities and needs to establish important links to the downtown business community."

There is already talk of new housing for students downtown, as well as many partnerships that will be forged over the next few years. "If the University and city can synthesize their plans, both will stand to benefit greatly," Kosak added.

Education is attractive. If it is allowed to flourish in one area, it will attract more people, thus attracting more commerce, jobs, and a better economic outlook for the future. This move has tremendous potential to not only revitalize education in Arizona, but it also has the potential to change the state itself.

For years, nearly all of us have been drilled with the premise that "knowledge is power." If this holds to be true, I would venture to say that ASU President Michael Crow is the most powerful man in the state.

John Ronquillo is a journalism senior. Reach him at johnron@asu.edu.

×