ASU grad serves as president of Arizona-Mexico group

Victor Flores graduated from ASU in 1976 with a construction degree. Now he is helping build an economic and cultural partnership between Arizona and Mexico.

Plans for the Arizona-Mexico Commission were initiated in 1959 by then-Gov. Paul J. Fannin. Gov. Janet Napolitano now chairs the commission and appointed Flores as president in August.

The commission is a nonprofit organization that acts as an arm of the state's government to coordinate business relationships and research and plan for development on both sides of the border.

"My education at the Del Webb construction school [at ASU] taught me the fundamentals of construction," Flores said. "Not how to build a bridge but to understand how one is built."

The commission will put those skills to the test to build a figurative bridge between Arizona and Mexico, linking the business aspirations of the two territories.

Flores will work to implement Napolitano's vision, said Larry Lucero, manager of governmental affairs for Tucson Electric Power, a major sponsor of the commission.

He added that Flores would continue "the successful relationship that we have with Sonora, but [build] upon that to improve the international trading position that Arizona has."

Lucero also serves as vice president on the commission's board of directors.

As president, Flores will oversee the committee's yearly general meetings held in Arizona, guide fund-raising efforts and organize the 10 committees to achieve commission goals.

"He is an excellent selection for this position and will be a steady hand in guiding this commission," Lucero said.

The state provides $150,000 in funding for the program, Flores said, adding that the rest of the money must come from other sources, as the Arizona economy cannot give the commission the resources it would need.

The commission relies on sponsorship from interested companies and individuals. Arizona Public Service, Salt River Project and Tucson Electric Power all sponsor activities at the highest level: $12,500 per year.

The interest of the power companies lies partially in their ability to help develop infrastructure in the territory of their southern neighbor.

"We are extremely interested in pursuing the development of infrastructure - electric and gas," Lucero said. "It can be considered a building block or foundation for the growth of any economic region, similar to roads, rails and water."

Reach the reporter at michael.miklofsky@asu.edu.

×