Review: 'Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour'

9i29kgfc
Donkey Kong knocks the skin off the ball in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.

Way before you thought you were Tiger Woods and Golden Tee was just a faint memory, Mario was teaching everyone about the game of golf. With the recently released Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, console golf games have become fun again.

Mario first grabbed the clubs in 1991 with the release of N.E.S. Open Golf. It is still one of the best golf games available on the consoles. It did for arcade-style console golf games what Mario 64 did for 3D action platformers: completely revolutionized the genre.

Toadstool Tour keeps up the tradition. There is really no learning curve for this game. You don't have worry about flicking the analog stick to determine swing speed. It uses the old school power meter. Hit the A-button once to start the backswing and the A-button once again to set the power. That's it. You don't have to hit any more buttons because the auto-swing feature is in effect and will smack the ball down the fairway.

If you are more of a control freak, Mario's got you covered. Instead of hitting the A-button a second time, hit the B-button to engage the manual swing feature. One the cursor is centered in the impact zone, press either A for topspin or B for backspin. Simple enough, right?

Don't be afraid, there is a built-in training module.

Toadstool Tour features all the different types of play including tournament play, match play, skins game, and doubles. Some of the more unique games including trying to hit the ball through a huge ring while trying to stay under par. There is also a coin collecting game.

My favorite is the Club Slots style of play. You start each hole at a slot machine that will determine what three clubs, excluding putter, you can use on the hole. I find that it makes the game more fun and challenging.

If you have no short game and you like to wail on the ball off the tee, there is a closest to the pin contest. You won't win a new car or anything, but it still keeps the game diverse and fun.

You can pick from different golfers from across the various Mario titles including Mario and Luigi, of course, but the other characters include Wario, Daisy, Peach, Donkey Kong, Bowser and even a Koopa (the turtle guy). Pop quiz time, how many of you remember Birdo from Super Mario Bros. 2? It was the dinosaur that shot eggs from its mouth. She is in the game.

Each golfer has their strengths and shot style. If you play as Mario, you're safe because the ball travels straight and gets pretty good power. If you play as Bowser though, you get more power, but a wicked slice to the right that must be adjusted for.

Coming out for the Game Boy Advance later this year is Mario Golf: Advance. In keeping with the ability to connect the GBA with the Gamecube, you will be able to develop golfer in Mario Golf: Advance that can be used in Toadstool Tour.

With all these cool little mini-games and GBA extras, Toadstool Tour could be the final piece of your sports puzzle. So, if you are looking for a great golf game that is both fun and challenging, look no further than Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. Now I have to go, I have a tee time in the next 15 minutes.

NEED THE INFO

mario golf

Mario Golf: Toadstool Challenge

Platform: Nintendo GameCube

Developer: Camelot Software

Publisher: Nintendo

×