Cup o' Joe: Telling the human experience

763h3g90

Many may disagree, but it is my strong belief that stories of real people make for the strongest works of journalism.

What are real people as opposed to unreal people?

They are among us; they are not isolated or sheltered by public relations executives and gatekeepers. Real people live lives devoid of Hollywood endings and trivial concerns over botox appointments, nor do they choose activism as simply a hobby.

More specifically, real people are found within the pages of SPM. From this semester's first issue, in which Emily Murphy explored so-called Internet, shopping and gambling addicts being treated with anti-depressants, we have told the stories of real people with real problems, emotions, achievements and personalities.

We have told stories of local heroes who ask for nothing more than the well-being of a sprawling community - people like Kimber Lanning, the owner of Stinkweeds Records and Modified Arts, who refuses to allow Corporate America to squeeze a single drop of independence from her business or her "empire of the obscure."

Joy Hepp's "Afterschool Special," the story of Rosie's House, a music school for underprivileged kids in central Phoenix, was especially rewarding for SPM to publish.

Matt Garcia wrote "Setting Sail," a story on the embattled Sail Inn bar in Tempe, and painted a colorful picture of loyal patrons from all walks who treasure this hole-in-the-wall establishment.

Benjamin Leatherman's "Closer to God" enlightened us all on what independence in the Catholic Church means to some of our most passionate and spiritual neighbors.

SPM contributors Erika Wurst and Debbie Berman continually brought out the best of an oft-muted art and music scene here in the Valley. Jaime Schneider's "Monitoring the Mormons" was eye opening, and captured the tension between born-again Christians in Mesa and a large populace of LDS who continue to feel disrespected.

And Michael Green, our resident film critic, wrote the most magnificent and heartfelt review I've ever read by interpreting the film 'Til Human Voices Wake Us through a very personal tragedy that changed his life.

We tell these very real stories of very real people to serve a purpose that is slipping between the cracks of journalism:

We want to give voices to the voiceless. And with this, my final issue as editor of SPM, I believe we have accomplished this mission.

Connections can be made through journalism; it doesn't have to be the same, cynical content you may find in a majority of publications.

Journalism is the task of telling the human experience. We at SPM hope you all will continue to experience true life with us throughout the rest of your days at ASU.

Thanks. Every issue was about you.

Reach the editor at joe.watson@asu.edu.

Joe
Watson

×