Officials await UA rivalry fans

438u66dd
An unidentified UA Wildcat fan cheers on his team while hanging a Sparky doll.

Extra security measures are being taken for Saturday's men's basketball game against UA in light of the fan rowdiness that typically ensues because of the in-state rivalry.

The game, sold out since January, has officials worried because both teams have acquired large and vocal followings this season. The Wildcats are currently ranked No. 1 in the nation, and the Sun Devils are having their best season since 1995, with a shot at making the NCAA tournament.

Because of the demand for tickets, an additional 300 standing-room-only tickets were sold, further packing the arena.

A need for more crowd regulation came last year after a fan in the student section threw a slice of pizza onto the court during a home game against UCLA. The action lead to a technical foul against ASU, and the Sun Devils eventually lost that game 82-79.

To ensure this doesn't happen again, head coach Rob Evans and the entire team met with a group of season ticket-holding students to discuss how they should behave during the game.

"Leave the vulgar stuff for someone else," Evans said.

Tyrone Figaro, event coordinator for athletic operations, said 27 security guards and three supervisors typically patrol Wells Fargo Arena. For Saturday's game - the first sellout of the year - there will be 10 additional guards.

Figaro said it is typical that security is increased at the high-profile games.

"We've done this for a few years already, so we know what will usually happen," Figaro said.

Most of the added security will be specifically in the student section, where officials believe most of the problems occur.

"Typically, the college student will say a few things to the other team," Figaro said. But he added that during the game, there should be no violence or running onto the court.

According to Lt. John Sutton of ASU police, there will be 12 officers inside the arena. An average game would have between six and eight. Some of these officers will also be specifically stationed in the student section.

"If we're going to have problems, they usually come from the student section," Sutton said.

Basketball officials said they don't want to take away one of the simple pleasures of winning, such as charging the court.

"When we win the game, leave the UA players alone, and go congratulate ours," said Tom Collins, senior associate athletic director.

Reach the reporter at jeffrey.hoodzow@asu.edu.

×