No-call lists recognize telemarketers' silence golden

k2y66tq7
Darren Todd

The fine history professors here at ASU have taught me many things, but none more accurate than this: If you want something screwed up, put it in the hands of the government.

Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I hope that the new no-call lists restricting telemarketers will not meet the same fate. The House of Representatives just passed a bill creating this list by a vote of 418-7.

The Federal Trade Commission has asked for $16 million in order to create this nationwide list, which will make it illegal for certain telemarketers to call those on it. Now all we have to do is wait to see what the Senate will do.

Simultaneously, Arizona senators are putting forth their own bill for a no-call list, following suit after states such as Minnesota, where about half the residents have placed their names on the no-call list. This proposed list will cost about $100,000, with $1,000 fines for any company calling those on it.

It sure will be lonely at my house without the phone ringing first thing in the morning and then again during dinner. I have enjoyed the company of so many zealous callers rattling off their spiels in record time. It will be sad to see such fine folks as Harvey and Tye Sloniker go, who have been courteous enough to commit telemarketing fraud and glean millions of dollars from Arizonans.

Some folks have offered opposition, however. Lori Fentem, a representative for the American Teleservices Association, says many people in Arizona could lose their jobs as a result of this legislation.

The fine people at Qwest are not fond of this idea, either. Qwest lobbyist Manny Lerma says, "don't answer the phone" to avoid being bothered by telemarketers, though I somehow doubt he is receiving calls while eating dinner.

His further statements proposing that one simply check who is calling using caller I.D. are audacious at best, since Qwest charges $6 a month for that service, and is the very troll selling our numbers to the telemarketing companies.

The Direct Marketing Association calls it a violation of free speech; how I would love to get the CEO's home number and call to practice my free speech about 12 times a day.

By now, some readers have already figured what this means for us: Many students' telemarketing jobs are in jeopardy. But they deserve to be in jeopardy, as no occupation deserves as little respect as telemarketing.

Call it appointment setting, phone representation or telephonic interviewing, it still remains the most dishonest means of accruing wealth. Despite the fat paychecks, it feeds off the weak-willed. It prays on those who do not want to say "piss off" (as I do).

No doubt this seems harsh to many of my fellow students who have chosen this profession; but honestly, drug dealers deserve more respect - at least their clients come to them.

Despite my elation with this bill, it is not a panacea. Organizations under the Federal Communications Commission's jurisdiction, such as banks, telephone companies and charities, can still call free of restriction. Unfortunately, these groups comprise a large portion of the calls. But as one wise professor told me, "Rome was not built in a day."

God willing, someday my phone will remain silent, and I will not dread the sound of it, knowing that what waits on the other end is not a stranger who wants something from me, but a friend.

Darren Todd is an English Literature Senior, reach him at lawrence.todd@asu.edu.

×