Prop 304: Legislative Salaries

This is the 13th in a 14-part series. The election will be held on Nov. 5, to find your voting site log on to http://recorder.maricopa.gov and click on "Elections."

Proposition 304: Raises the salary of members of the Legislature from $24,000 to $36,000, effective January 2003.

Who proposed it: 300-level propositions are proposed changes to state laws placed on the ballot by the Legislature.

Arguments for: "It ought to be possible for regular, working Arizonans to serve in their Legislature. The present low salary, $24,000, makes it difficult for anyone with family responsibilities to serve, especially when the legislative paycheck is the primary family income. Moving the salary up to a more livable standard will widen the pool of available candidates and give Arizona better leadership choices. The added income should also make it possible for legislators to spend more time studying issues between formal legislative sessions. Our state, with its 5 million people and $15 billion state budget needs the best leadership talent we can get."

— Valley Citizens League, President Dennis M. Burke and board member Joel Harnett

Arguments against: "These generic, clueless legislators do not deserve $36,000 for only '100 days' work. In addition to their salary, they get great medical benefits, $60 cost-of-living per diem and retirement benefits after only five years."

—Bruce A. Friedemann, candidate for State Representative, District 28

Sources: 2002 Ballot Propositions & Judicial Performance Review; Arizona Secretary of State office.

Reach the reporter at megan.rudebeck@asu.edu.

×