Only 1 candidate left for ASU presidency

85uc51s9
Michael Crow, a finalist for the ASU presidency, said ASU can be a "world-class" institution.

Just a week after visiting the ASU campus, Karen Holbrook withdrew her name from consideration for the university presidency.

Michael Crow, executive vice provost at Columbia University, is now the lone candidate to replace Lattie Coor, who will retire June 30.

Crow, 46, will interview with the Arizona Board of Regents at Old Main on Friday. An announcement is expected either that day or early next week.

Holbrook, provost and vice president of academic affairs at the University of Georgia, said in a statement Tuesday that she was thought ASU will be a key player in state's future, but that the move would not be right for her personally and politically.

In a public forum last week, Holbrook said she has an elderly mother and a college-age son at home.

Crow, who holds a Ph.D. in public administration, told the audience at last week's public forum that ASU can be a "world class" university if it upgrades three to five entities.

Holbrook, 59, visited ASU Main last Tuesday.

RELATED STORIES:

Crow: ASU can be "world-class" March 8, 2002

Candidate Holbrook wants "campus vision" March 7, 2002

×