Greek hazing on decline in recent years

Despite recent hazing allegations against ASU's Sigma Nu chapter, cries of Greek misconduct on campus are far more quiet than ten years ago.

"Today's students don't put up with hazing," explained Greek Life director Bob Francis.

He said that Greeks haven't had many hazing-related problems recently because fraternities and sororities are aiming to get different types of people into their respective organizations.

"To recruit quality students, you must respect them," Francis said.

ASU's Greek record has not always been so clean. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, fraternities were especially targeted for violating the student code of conduct.

In February 1987, ASU's chapter of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity was suspended from having social events after a pledge was allegedly suspended from a chair and dangled from a balcony.

The event was photographed by State Press reporter Michael Burgess, who was allegedly assaulted by member of the fraternity after the incident.

It was the first hazing complaint ever brought before the Greek Relations Board.

Later the same year, the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, commonly known as Fiji, was also found guilty of violating ASU's anti-hazing policies.

During the fraternity's hazing incidents, pledges were allegedly paddled and forced to drink punch until they vomited. Jewish pledges were forced to yell, "Six million," and "I should have been one of them," in reference to the number of Jews who perished in Nazi concentration camps in World War II.

Fijis were evicted from their house and placed on a two-year probation in 1988.

In 1988, the Greek Relations Board found the Delta Tau Delta and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternities in violation of the student code of conduct.

Both fraternities allegedly played 'kidnapping' pranks on pledges. They were turned in by passer-bys who thought the kidnappings were real. One student was allegedly taken away in hand-cuffs.

Delta Tau Delta was placed on social probation for six months and required to donate three hours of community service per member – there were about 60 – to the Tempe Police Department.

Sigma Phi Epsilon was placed on social probation and suspended from participating in intramurals for the remainder of the semester. The 200-member fraternity was also required to donate one hour of community service per member.

In 1991, Alpha Tau Omega was handed a severe penalty. They were suspended for three years for hazing violations that took place over a period of five years. The fraternity was found to be depriving pledges of sleep, food, and water.

Since the years of constant hazing allegations, Francis said education efforts from the university, the national offices of the Greek organizations, and alumni has helped to limit the number of serious hazing allegations.

"In general, fraternities and sororities have realized those actions are not appropriate," Francis said.

RELATED STORIES

Sigma Nu member responds to hazing allegations Feb. 12, 2002

Hazing accusations abound for Sigma Nu Feb. 5, 2002

Sigma Nu 'caught red-handed' in hazing incident Jan. 30, 2002

New policy tightens control of alcohol in frat houses Aug. 22, 2002

×