State Fair enjoys record number of visitors

6m2l527j
The carousel is of the Arizona State Fair´s main attractions.

While there was some concern that recent events would stop people from attending this year's Arizona State Fair, laughter and excitement are alive and well as a record number of people ride the rides and attend concerts.

The fair opened Oct. 11 at the state fairgrounds on McDowell Avenue and since, tens of thousands of people have run through the gates. Despite economic and terrorism concerns, attendance at the fair is higher this year than last year.

“(Last) Saturday the fair hit an all-time record high of 110,000 people," said Kristi Meyers, a marketer for the fair.

Tammy Naughton, a business senior, said she will not let the recent terrorism attacks keep her from enjoying the State Fair. She said staying at home would be giving into terrorists.

The fair runs through Oct. 28 and if you go and want to avoid large crowds, it is best to go on weekdays.

Admission is $8 for adults and $4 for children and parking prices range from $5-$10 depending what day of the week you go.

The fair closes at 11:30 p.m. Sunday through Monday and 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

There are special days for those who enjoy riding the roller coasters more than once.

On Coca-Cola Pay One Price days, visitors can ride as many rides as they want for one price all day long. Those dates are Oct. 18, 23, 25, and 28.

The fair sports the largest ferris wheel in North America and a Mega Drop that free falls 115 feet at 50 mph. The Inverter, another ride at the fair, rotates 360 degrees while constantly spinning upside down.

In addition to rides, patrons can visit a Wildlife World Zoo exhibit, a live shark encounter, a sea lion splash, and an indoor petting zoo.

This weekend, David Cassidy and Native Spirit Dancers will perform.

For more information on the fair call: 602-252-6771 or visit the website: www.azstatefair.com.

The Free-fall at the State Fair plunges riders 115 feet at 50 mph.

A record number of people have visited the State Fair so far this year.

×