ASU golfer Cameron Sisk shares special bond with twin brother Parker

Talent runs in the family as the two golfers continue to improve at different universities

sisk brothers 2019.jpg

Cameron and Parker Sisk pose for a photo at Monterey Peninsula Dunes Course in Pebble Beach, California in June 2019.

Sports urge competition and team spirit — and for ASU golfer Cameron Sisk and his twin brother, Parker, the game of golf is a significant part of their bond.

Originally from El Cajon, California, the pair is in their second year of playing golf at NCAA Division I schools. While Cameron represents the Sun Devils, Parker plays for the San Jose State Spartans. Both are exactly where they want to be.

“This is probably the absolute best place for me to be at this point in my life,” Cameron said. “Our coaches have been nothing but the best. I’ve walked into a great group of guys.”

Parker said "it's cool to be able to say that I'm a (San Jose Spartan)," adding that he enjoys the team atmosphere. 

Golf has always been a part of their lives. The boys’ father, Michael Sisk, has played for many years and worked to instill the values and enjoyment of the game into Cameron and Parker at an early age. For much of their childhood, however, golf wasn’t their primary focus.

Both were multi-sport athletes, and the twins’ early interest was actually baseball. That was until their father offered them a challenge.

“All they wanted to do was play baseball, and they were trending to be pretty good ballplayers,” Michael said. “I said ‘all right guys — if you can break 80 from the forward tees at Steele Canyon (Golf Club), you can play baseball.’”

Cameron and Parker Sisk pose for a photo at Makai Golf Course at Kauai, Hawaii in August 2013.

Steele Canyon Golf Club is a 27-hole course located in Jamul, California, close to where the boys grew up.

Michael recalls noticing a change in their interests within just a few days of practicing on the course. 

“It was like pulling teeth getting them out to Steele Canyon day one but we went,” he said. “Day two, not too bad — all of a sudden they were kind of into it.”

Within a week, Cameron and Parker shot 81 and 78 from the forward tees, respectively. 

"The rest is history,” Michael said.

Cameron and Parker have been very close their whole lives. While they both admitted to an occasional sibling rivalry, their mutual support outweighs opposition.

This remains inherently true following their decisions to attend different colleges.

“I personally think it was a blessing in disguise that they went their own way,” said Kirsten Sisk, Cameron and Parker’s mother. “I think in a lot of ways, it actually brought them closer together because they’re rooting for each other.”

While it is common to see siblings, especially twins, share the same environments, the fact that Cameron and Parker play for schools in different states allows them to pave their own way and create their own legacies.

Cameron emphasizes that their difference as golfers — and people — has played a role in their ability to learn from one another.

“I’ve looked up to (Parker) in certain ways and he’s looked up to me in a lot of ways, too,” Cameron said. “We’ve kind of followed each other’s suit in every direction we go — once we both started golfing, it definitely brought us closer as brothers.”

Cameron noted that one of the most significant aspects of having a twin is that there is always a “built-in best friend" present from day one.

While the two of them approach the sport in their own ways and play in distinct settings, they share one common goal for the future — to improve throughout college and play professional golf for a living one day.

“Post-college, I think the goal for me and most any other college player is to be able to take your skills to the next level,” Parker said.

Cameron echoed Parker and said that the idea of going pro "is constantly going through my head, and I think that’s really what keeps me moving in the right direction."

The two have shown that they care deeply about their individual work ethic, both on and off the golf course. The efforts they make every day generate immense pride from family, friends and coaches.

“I’m really happy for (Cameron),” said Matt Thurmond, ASU's golf coach. “He’s just got everything a great player has … he’s got a very stable mind.”

ASU and San Jose State are set to compete in two of the same tournaments this year, which will give Cameron and Parker a chance to compete on the same course.

As they continue to chase their dreams, the boys' support system remains intact. 

“We’re proud of both of them,” Kirsten, their mom, said. “I think that they have bright futures ahead of them, and we’ve always said what’s most important is to be good people, be happy and work hard.”

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×